Sunday, February 16, 2014

Amazing Peace

Amazing Peace 

Maya Angelou 


In our joy, we think we hear a whisper.
At first it is too soft.   Then only half heard.
We listen carefully as it gathers strength.
We hear a sweetness.
The word is Peace.
It is loud now.
Louder than the explosion of bombs.

We tremble at the sound.
We are thrilled by its presence.
It is what we have hungered for.
Not just the absence of war.   But true Peace.
A harmony of spirit, and comfort of courtesies.
Security for our beloveds and their beloveds.

We, Angels and Mortals, Believers and Nonbelievers,
Look heavenward and speak the word aloud.
Peace.  We look at each other, then into ourselves,
And we say without shyness or apology or hesitation:

Peace, My Brother.
Peace, My Sister.
Peace, My Soul.

Summary 

 In this moving moving poem, Maya Angelou inspires us to embrace the peace during Christmas, so that  there can be hope and love in the holidays and the world. 

“Angels and Mortals, Believers and Nonbelievers, look heavenward, and speak the word aloud. Peace.” she says .

Evaluation 

This short book is categorized as poetry  and promotes peace of the world. Its is a cultural book that celebrates humanity in peace. These kinds of books can be used in all settings to promote positive and respectful living. 


Class room Activities 

Activity 1 : I would want my students to read this book out loud to feel the authors message. Peace should be promoted in the class room it will evolve into the students life eventually .

Activity 2 : I  would have of my students draw the meaning of peace . Then afterwards present their works to the class. 

Author 


Maya Angelou is an American Poet and author . She has published about 7 autobiographies , 3 books of essays and many books of poetry . She is credited with a list of plays , movies and TV shows , with a legacy of over 50 years. She also has over thirty doctoral degrees. 

Personal Comments 
 Maya Angelou humbles my spirit her work delights me and her achievements motivate me ; Her poems always hit home for me especially " Still I rise "



References 
Maya Angelou - Biography. (n.d.). Maya Angelou - Biography. Retrieved from http://mayaangelou.com/bio/



No comments:

Post a Comment